Saturday, June 16, 2018

My Final Thoughts!!



The community was more than welcoming to our college. They were beyond generous and so willing to share their stories and teach us about their history. All of the Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority (CIHA) staff were pleasant to work with and never did I feel in the way as a student. They were all so willing to answer any of my questions and share their nursing knowledge. Before this amazing experience, ten students including myself, asked for donations to take with us to North Carolina. We asked for non-perishable items, clothes and shoes of any size, infant clothing, diapers, and hygiene items. What a success! With all of our hard work, we were able to fill an 8 ft by 12 ft U-Haul trailer. These items we collected will help keep many men, women and families clothed, fed and clean. Some of the clothing collected was donated to Kanvwodiyi, which an amazing rehab facility in Snowbird. This addiction recovery facility is one of many amazing resources available for individuals suffering from an addiction. I feel, these clinics will help maintain a healthier generation by breaking the cycle and getting help for the patient that want it. These few improvements are extremely important resources because of the huge issue with drug and alcohol abuse within the community.

One of the most inspiring moments this week was having the opportunity to sit in on a rehab group session. I was great to hear the patient’s stories and some of the battles they face or have faced in the road to recovery. This was a huge step for me because I have never had that true connection with rehab, therefore it was a little bit out of my comfort zone. Even though I was uncomfortable in the beginning, I am so glad I did. I learned so much and really saw a new perspective.

Overall, I felt this experience was an impact on many of us. It showed me not to have a bias opinion, I learned how important family and community are and how passionate the Native Americans are about their history, traditions and beliefs. This is the very first time I have ever been apart of a travel class and I am so glad I was. I was one of the greatest experiences in nursing school, not only did I learn so much about culture, but I made many memories along the way.



1 comment:

  1. Lakin,
    I am glad that you had gotten out of your comfort zone and gained some openness and insight to areas that are often not embraced by nurses. To read that you have had so much positives to take away from this experience really warms my heart and makes me want to continue to do this course for future students. It was great to have you "Mother Hen" as part of the N393 travel team.

    ReplyDelete