Monday, June 11, 2018

We Have Arrived: My first thoughts


What am I excited to experience? I am looking forward to observing at the Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority (CIHA) and gaining new knowledge of the Native American culture. Touring the Village, visiting the local rehab center and seeing some beautiful views, like Soco Falls, are other opportunities I am eager to experience. Some of the fears I face, entering an unfamiliar community, are communication barriers and assumption on my part. I am entering this amazing opportunity with open mindedness and eagerness to learn. Nonetheless, I worry most about not understanding the wants, needs, and outcomes of patients due to such barriers. Considering the social and cultural environment influences, children are at an increased risk of having an addiction and/or developing diabetes due to certain conditions. It is more prevalent for a child to grow up having a drug or alcohol issue if the parent also has an addiction. Diabetes rate is high in the Natives and many have not even been diagnosed.
Having not met any Native Americans, I imagine them to be very welcoming, truthful and proud of who they are and where they have come from. I think the Native culture is so interesting, due to the fact that they want to maintain tradition and keep the fire alive. Many of our ancestors have forgotten the importance of tradition and how it shapes us today and always. Although this is an accusation, I do feel I still stereotype. I stereotype Native Americans on how they “should” look, for example, long hair, brown eyes, and dark skin. Following these stereotypes, I realize they are not always true, yet catch myself labeling others.

No comments:

Post a Comment