Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Clinical Day 1- All the way to Mingo Falls


The Nuka System of Care is a customer-owned approach Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority (CIHA) have used to transform healthcare and improve the patient outcomes. I have learned that the community and elders have a huge input in the way the healthcare systems are ran on the reservation. Building the Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority, many opinions and ideas were considered in bettering the healthcare process. They incorporated nature, family and familiarity in the foundation of CIHA, thus making it unique and personable to the community.
Today I had the opportunity to shadow the staff and observe Geriatric Primary Care, as well as the Emergency Department. I was privileged to interact with the certified nurse assistants, LPN’s, Primary Physicians, RN’s and a dietitian. Everyone was so welcoming and willing to share their knowledge and experience working at CIHA.
            I love the atmosphere of CIHA! I immediately noticed the unique interaction between staff and patients. They interact with professionalism, but most importantly on a personal level. The differences, in my opinion is communication. Almost everyone I spoke with, stressed the importance of family and communication in this culture and I think the staff does a great job in accommodating these beliefs and values. Other differences included the charting system, IV pumps and morning huddle. The similarities I observed are quality patient care, similar screens for the geriatric population, admission system and more. The CIHA offers all necessary cares in one place, including dental and eye care. Alternative medicines provided at the facility are acupuncture and yoga.
            In addition to my clinical experience, my traveling class and I took a hike to this amazing view. 


No comments:

Post a Comment